Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Director of Digital Programming (full-time, salaried, regular) is responsible for managing the tactical distribution of content across the Motor Trend SVOD service and any 3rd Party distribution platforms, leveraging consumer engagement data to inform content scheduling, programming, curation and acquisitions, and overseeing the operational running of the SVOD video management system with reference to the overall video content strategy set by the Head of Programming and Development of Motor Trend Group. This position will collaborate primarily with the VP of Linear Programming, VP of Production and VP of Development along with the MT SVOD Marketing team, Product team and other relevant business units to develop and ensure digital programming strategies meet the established company vision, goals, and company-wide initiatives and deliverables.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Oversee the daily implementation of the content strategy on the MotorTrend SVOD service
- Use data analytics and market insight to drive decision making, be responsible for programming the SVOD platform, including content selection, licensing & acquisitions, content delivery and site placement, and content scheduling/windowing.
- Design a set of content operational performance KPI’s that define a best in class service and ensure these targets are maintained
- Develop and maintain a consistent and engaging editorial tone of voice consistent with automotive fans and audiences through all front-end assets on the service, including key art and thumbnail selection, playlist themes and titles, and tune-in messaging/calls to action.
- Oversee the scheduling and delivery team responsible for executing the digital programming schedule in line with agreed KPI’s
- Work with Business Affairs to negotiate with licensors for content, including terms, deliverables and windows for digital programming elements
- Responsible for setting content performance targets and implementing measurement systems to see what is performing and then changing approach to get best results.
- Constantly strive to improve performance of the SVOD channel, both behind and in front of the paywall.
- Conceptualise and execute channel programming stunts
- Oversee promo scheduling and rotation on digital
- Coordinate monthly programming and promotional priorities with SVOD marketing and Motor Trend’s linear marketing to establish and plan cross promotional activity to create promotable stunts and vertical themes
- Coordinate special programming events tied into the MotorTrend linear channel tentpoles or other marketing initiatives
- Responsible for the proper and effective allocation of the digital channel’s acquisitions budget
- Contribute to the productivity and growth of the business through proactive engagement with all key stakeholders
- Ensure all content is uploaded to all outlets based on specific timelines
- Coordinate with linear production and Event teams for live productions
- Responsible for managing the contractual agreements and obligations relating to scheduling with distributors (example: Cox) to ensure we remain compliant
- Must be familiar with traditional linear and non-linear scheduling systems
- This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in video-based or related discipline.
- Managing a multi-functional team
- 3+ years previous experience in broadcast programming
- 3+ years’ experience in digital programming or digital content strategy.
- Experience in scheduling a mid and long form VOD content platform with a paywall component is essential
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to think and plan strategically with a business focus, while taking account of operational constraints.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Highly articulate and an excellent communicator, with strong influencing skills and the ability to communicate well with peers and senior executives, locally and in different regions
- Excellent people management skills and experience of managing teams, preferably through a period of change.
- OTT video file preparation and distribution knowledge including transcoding and delivery a big plus
- Must have a proven track record in building digital audiences
- Global mind-set: thinking and acting for both local and global needs
- Change leadership: resilience - ability to listen, respond and hold the course
- Proven excellent leadership skills, with the ability to influence also in positions of no direct authority and across international teams
- Must understand social media as a promotional tool
- Baseline understanding, interest, or experience in automotive content a big plus.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
- Some travel required; including international.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.