Director, Content Creation
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world's leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely with all of the company's record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including: The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
UMe is seeking a passionate music enthusiast to service as the Director, Content Creation with an innovative outlook to drive the content strategy of audio & visual assets of UMG Catalog to monetize, market and engage audience. The candidate will possess a strong understanding of visual and audio storytelling, have experience leading audio/visual projects through from initial conception through to execution, have a deep knowledge and interest in catalog music, and come from a strong music business background to join our catalog Product Development team as the Director Content Creation. This role is based in Santa Monica, CA.
- Drive UMe revenue by leading & developing a digitally focused content & editorial strategy of the UMG catalogue.
- Act as strategic partner to internal stakeholders of UMe to develop marketing initiatives, editorial direction, and asset deliverables.
- Identify opportunities for additional content creation to achieve marketing goals including but not limited to video creation, podcast, lyric videos, remixes, edits, webisodes etc.
- Lead the creative direction of audio & visual content; utilizing existing archive materials and creating new asset as needed.
- Research and create content from existing audio-visual content to make sure it is commercially available; where possible deliver technical upgrades for DSP's.
- Oversee playlist content strategy to drive revenue within the UMe catalogue business.
- Use insight & analytics to understand current performance and future opportunities for content creation.
- Partner with the archive on accessing content for commercial opportunity.
- Manage release schedule for content; ensure deliverable are met for key releases, events and anniversaries
- Create & oversee budget for content creation.
- Stay on top of technically and music consumption trends; explore innovative approaches, technologies and opportunities to best connect consumers with music and content.
- Manage and research capabilities for the audio and video archive.
- Manage 1 direct report on content creation team.
- Must be current on today's music industry environment including streaming/digital platforms
- Extensive knowledge of DSP playlist compilations, programming, and content curation for both audio and video
- Ability to multi-task, ensure meticulous attention to detail, prioritize and work well under pressure & deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Work well independently, take initiative, identify potential issues & successfully problem solve with sound business deliverables
- Strong video editing & basic animation skills
- Strong graphic design skills
- Expert knowledge of Creative Suite tools
- Extensive knowledge of audio and video formats
- Effectively optimize processes and efficiencies, and manage budgets
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT), along with high aptitude for learning new software programs.
- 7+ years of experience in related role.
- Bachelor's degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.