tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism, which harnesses proprietary technology to present personalized, premium content to a global audience in real time. tronc draws content from its vast media portfolio, where a commitment to informing and inspiring communities has earned 92 Pulitzer Prizes and a monthly audience of 60 million. From pixels to Pulitzers, tronc brands optimize content and create engaging experiences for audiences across all channels.
At tronc we are growing the product team in our Los Angeles offices to help power the future of digital news and promote award-winning, culture-impacting journalism. We’re looking for a smart and talented product owner, an expert in their field who can come in and teach us a thing or two while ambitiously learning from a stellar team.
Video is a core component of the world-class journalism tronc creates every day through brands like Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. We are seeking a video product guru to join our team in the Los Angeles office. The video Product Manager will help us define the tronc video offerings, platform and grow our audience. The ideal candidate balances left-brain/right-brain modes to nurture user, business and content needs while optimizing for system efficiencies.
The person in this role works shoulder-to-shoulder with our Design, Tech, Marketing, Editorial and Business teams to develop and manage features. The Product Manager will become best friends with our data groups to understand platform performance and user behavior, planning optimization accordingly. He/She knows when, how, and why users engage with our video, manages the unique needs of homegrown video vs. content from feeds, works with the people and systems managing our CMS, manages hosting, transcoding and ad serving integrations and optimizations.
The video Product Manager owns the roadmap, manages communication with stakeholders and leadership, secures resources, and validates prioritization based on organizational goals and KPIs. We’re looking for somebody who can clearly and concisely express his or her points, know when to constructively say no, and diplomatically get everyone to yes.Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Director of Product, define, manage and own the strategic product roadmap to execute on corporate strategic vision for video
- Lead a small agile development group for your product
- Be the primary interface between Engineering/UX/Editorial/Marketing/Advertising/Business for roadmap execution - Gather team requirements and feedback
- Utilize analytics and data to make decisions
- Prioritize features and bugs based on objectives and data
- Perform UAT
- Cultivate strong relationships with cross functional teams; be the point of contact to initiate new products and projects
- Ensure that the cross-departmental team is informed on work status through bi-weekly planning meetings and status reports
- Develop short term product roadmaps and report on status and efficacy of solutions
- Write user stories, product requirements documents and feature tickets
- Utilize A/B testing tools to optimize performance and revenue opportunities
- Working with the management, define, analyze and report on product KPIs
- Communicate often and openly with cross-functional stakeholders so that all teams are informed on product and release status, performance metrics, future rollouts and activity with video products
- Lead vendor analysis and recommendations for selection, integrations and migrations
- Be the go-to person for latest trends in video web & mobile technology, content, monetization, competitive landscape, best-practices and innovations in the space
- B.S / B.A degree with a strong academic record
- 3-5 years working in Product Management with focus on video on web, mobile, and OTT platforms
- Experience writing detailed product requirements
- Bilingual in tech and layperson, and able to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum environments
- A/B testing and metrics analysis
- Experience producing wireframes, user flow diagrams, and annotating mockups is a plus