At Impact Health, our vision is to make buying health insurance online simple and transparent.
We use data + predictive modeling to provide consumers transparent costs and help them choose the right plan, all in under 5 minutes.
Impact Health is a web platform that has enabled our customers to save an average of $4000 per year.
Most people would rather have a root canal than have to track down the best insurance plan to cover that root canal. That’s because the world of health insurance is byzantine and complicated and rarely puts the customer at the center of the process. At Impact Health, we want to change that. Our mission is to make buying health insurance online simple and transparent. Our web platform uses data and predictive modeling to provide consumers with real costs and help them choose the right plan to fit their needs and save money--all in just 5 minutes.
Impact Health is a TECHSTARS NYC accelerator company where we strive to work as servant leaders, obsessively focused on our customers. Having a positive culture and challenging the norms to achieve that culture is part of what excites us. Our customers and our employees are our highest priority--without our team, we can’t keep growing and innovating.
So, what kinds of people make our team work? They share certain core strengths that capture our company values:
- Judgment: You identify root causes and make wise decisions despite ambiguity. You focus on what must be done well now, and differentiate what can be improved upon later.
- Communication: You listen well without rushing to react. You are articulate and treat people with calm and respect, no matter their status or situation.
- Impact: You focus on consistently and efficiently doing work that yields great results.
- Curiosity: You seek to understand our strategy, market, and subscribers, and learn rapidly and eagerly.
- Innovation: You challenge prevailing assumptions and suggest better approaches.
- Courage: You take smart risks, make tough decisions, and question actions that conflict with our values.
- Passion: You care intensely about excellence and celebrate wins.
- Honesty: You are candid, direct, and quick to admit mistakes.
- Selflessness: You seek what is best for your colleagues and company.
If you see yourself here, we would love to get to know you better! We’re always looking for the next kickass person who could be a great fit for our rapidly growing team.
We are looking for an ambitious Data Scientist to join our team in Los Angeles. You'll be analyzing complex healthcare data to develop predictive models and algorithms that will help people all over the US get health insurance they can actually use. Our data scientist will refine and invent ways to predict the best search results for health insurance consumers.
This is a great opportunity to leverage your skills to have a huge impact on the world. Your technical and imaginative genius will directly help consumers across the U.S. get health insurance they can actually use.
What You’ll Do:
- Select features, build and optimize classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Extend company’s data with third party sources of information when needed
- Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Do ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner
- Work together with data engineers to streamline algorithm development
- Create ETL flows and dashboards to better understand our rapidly growing user base
- Build pipelines to support A/B testing of models and user cohort analysis
- Extend and implement core functionality in our data processing platform
- Evolve Spark/Hadoop data systems with an eye towards processing terabytes a day
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to make data available as part of user-facing features
What You’ll Bring:
- A deep desire to build a high quality product and company.
- 3+ years experience as a Data Scientist, Software Engineer with predictive modeling, or similar
- PhD or Master’s Degree in applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, or a related quantitative discipline
- Proficiency in NLP, predictive modeling, algorithms, machine learning and a huge imagination.
- Top-notch programming skills in Java and/or Python
- Extremely comfortable working with Big Data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We will count on you to be a data storyteller.
- A strong desire to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- An unstoppable passion to do the best work of your life
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary based on experience
- 100% healthcare coverage
- Pick your own equipment and keep it if you leave the company
- Unlimited paid vacation days
- Free lunch plan and healthy snacks
- Location: Anywhere you want. We have a beachfront office paradise in Playa Del Rey, CA, and an urban loft in Pasadena, CA. But most positions can work remotely, too.